01753 314204 Menu


Here you will find answers to some of the most common questions patients ask us about gynaecology, fertility surgery and IVF treatment.

How can I get the most out of my appointment?

For Gynaecological problems, a GP referral letter often provides some background medical history and summary. If you have seen other clinicians for the same problem or have any relevant medical notes and test results please bring these along to the appointment.

A menstrual diary with the previous year’s period dates and cycle lengths is very useful in many cases especially for fertility patients.

You may need an internal scan on the day so please come prepared for this. You will NOT need a full bladder.

Fertility patients can self-refer, please see Fertility Services

I have heavy painful periods, and pain during intercourse, is this relevant?

Painful periods and pain during intercourse could indicate that you’re suffering from endometriosis. Heavy periods are sometimes associated with fibroids. Both these conditions can be found in women experiencing a delay in conceiving.

Do I have endometriosis?

If you have painful periods, pelvic pain, or if intercourse is painful then this condition may be present. It can also be present with minimal symptoms and is sometimes associated with infertility. This can be managed prior to proceeding with fertility treatment.

Could I have fibroids?

Fibroids can cause heavy painful periods, bleeding between periods, pressure symptoms or no symptoms at all.

This can be managed prior to proceeding with fertility treatment.

What can a couple expect from a visit to see a Fertility Specialist?

The consultation will last for approximately 45 minutes. You should both expect to give a full and detailed medical history to ensure the correct management plan is put into place for you. Gender specific information is below;

Female: Relevant physical examination, internal scan and blood tests.

Male: Semenalysis result review; sometimes another test is required or a referral to a male fertility specialist (urologist) is needed.

How can the male partner be tested?

We offer a male testing service on site by way of semen analysis with same day results in conjunction with our embryologist colleague Claire Mooney.

What tests are needed for the woman?

As a guide the following tests are required:

  • Internal ultrasound scans
  • Hormone and other blood tests
  • Chlamydia test
  • Fallopian tube testing (HSG)

How do you test the tubes?

Hysterosalpingogram (HSG) or Laparoscopy and dye.

To decide which of the above tests is the most suitable for you is based upon your clinical history and examination and this will be discussed with you in clinic. There are often conditions such as endometriosis or fibroids, which can be associated with infertility. These can also be treated as part of the management plan.

Surgery may be required if you have fibroids for example which are interfering with the uterine cavity.

Do I need IVF?

IVF is indicated if you have tried for more than 2 years and there is no cause found after full investigation by a specialist. This is called Unexplained Infertility. If you are older than 35 years, fertility is declining and the speed to which you should move to IVF depends on the clinical situation especially egg reserve for the woman.

Tubal problems, male factor and severe endometriosis are other situations where a couple would need IVF to help them have a baby.

How do you test my egg reserve?

The female age is the best predictor of egg supply, but we use a blood test called AMH and scanning counting the number of antral follicles (AFC) to assess this.

Does my age matter?

It is known that a woman's fertility declines with age. This means that the chances of getting pregnant, both naturally and through fertility treatment decrease, as you get older. This typically occurs after the age of 35, but younger women may have reduced fertility without being aware of it.

How often should we have sexual intercourse?

To give yourselves the best chance of success, we suggest that you try to have sexual intercourse every 2 to 3 days. Some couples use ovulation urine kits to ensure that they can time intercourse for the most fertile period. This is fine to use but some couples find this an added stress.

Does my weight affect my chances of getting pregnant?

The range of healthy weight is defined by the body mass index (BMI). A healthy weight is a BMI of between 19 and 25. It can take longer to get pregnant if you are underweight (your BMI is under 19) or you are obese (your BMI is 30 or above). If you are underweight or obese and you have irregular periods, reaching a healthy weight will help to regulate your cycles and improve frequency of ovulation.

What vitamins should I take?

Women who are trying to get pregnant should take folic acid tablets (0.4 mg a day); taking folic acid when you are trying for a baby and for the first 12 weeks of pregnancy reduces the risk of the baby being born with neural tube defects, such as spina bifida.

If you have previously had a child with a neural tube defect, or are taking medication for epilepsy, have diabetes or are obese (BMI over 30) you should take a higher dose of folic acid, 5 mg a day (you will need a prescription from your GP for this dosage).

What about smoking and alcohol?

Please check the Department of Health website for the latest guidance on this for both men and women.

What if I need an operation?

If surgery is offered, you will be given an information leaflet or website link to read about the proposed fertility surgery. A date will be organized accordingly. All surgery is performed at the Spire Thames Valley hospital.

Which medical insurance companies are you approved by?

Miss Husain is recognised by all of the major health insurance providers including: BUPA, AXA PPP, CIGNA, Aviva, WPA Health, Simply Health, Vitality Health and many more. Please check with your insurance policy about your level of cover for consultations and any investigations or procedures recommended by your consultant. Please contact Miss Husain's secretary on 01753 314204 for advice and assistance.

How do I pay for my treatment?

Consultations are invoiced directly to you or your insurance company following your appointment with Miss Husain. All invoices should be settled within 15 days either by bank transfer (BACS), by debit/credit card or by cheque. You will find the bank account details at the bottom of your invoice.

Book an appointment online